Call us: 0845 077 7758
9am - 6pm Mon - Fri

Art of LandscapeRoyal Cambrian Academy, Conwy / Betws Artists’ Colony

Plas MawrDuring the 19th Century, North Wales was home to the first Artists’ colony in Britain. Artist David Cox began spending his summers painting and drawing in and around Betws y Coed in the mid 1800s, and by 1881, the Conwy Valley was both home and holiday resort for a large number of artists.

This group of around 30 members came together and established The Cambrian Academy of Art in Conwy, with the purpose of exchanging ideas and exhibiting collectively. A year later it was given ‘Royal’ status on Queen Victoria’s orders and became the Royal Cambrian Academy we know today. Over the years, the Academy has had some illustrious presidents: Augustus John and Sir Kyffin Williams included. And since 1994, the has occupied its own purpose-built gallery on Crown Lane, where you can view (and buy) the work of its members at regular changing exhibitions – as well as the work of non-members during the annual Summer Exhibition.



Related Links:

www.rcaconwy.org